Box store consumers are trained to grab and go. The mixed potted herb window box was created to be cash-and-carry ready. The fold-over plant tag was created in Spanish and English, featuring tear-off recipe cards showcasing plant material in the container.
Design and Product Challenge
Extend windowbox product line with new offering in 2012.
- Create new Lowe’s SKU so each windowbox program can be tracked individually.
- Expand bench space dedicated to Kraemer’s Nursery.
- Educate consumers on how to use herbs on the grill.
- Secure QR code from Lowe’s. QR code content suggestion: UTube cooking video and/or herb plant fact pages.
- Secure herbs with longer retail shelf life.
- Select herbs that require minimum pruning to keep nursery production labor costs down.
- Researched local growers with quality liner material at low cost.
- Developed costing spreadsheet analyzing production costs, suggested margins and retail price.
- Sourced overseas sun resistant, custom windowbox supplier.
- Researched and refined herb recipes in home kitchen.
- Sourced herb cooking photos through Vision Pictures.
- Translated English to Spanish using Google's online translator.
- Tag printed on both sides: English and Spanish per Lowe’s standards.
- Recipe card perforated so consumer can keep on file.
- Tags and stakes provided by Hort Printers.
Sample potted up herb windowbox and tag presented to Lowes in September 2011.